Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP
Associate Principal - Design Architect (Architecture)
At SOM, we are a collective committed to shaping a better future for our clients, communities and planet. We aspire to create the most sustainable, impactful work through creative, interdisciplinary teams with all the resources and diversity of a global ﬁrm. We value those who are passionate about excellence, innovation, integrity, inclusivity, and collaboration. Together we can achieve great things.
Success at SOM Means
● Ideas: We believe in a meritocracy of ideas. We look to everyone to actively contribute to the discourse in the ﬁrm.
● Knowledge: We believe that expertise is the result of lifelong learning. We are not expected to know everything, but rather to passionately pursue answers, develop new skills and deepen our knowledge.
● Product: We strive for excellence in the concept, quality, and delivery of our work.
● Individual: We value individuals who bring the highest standards of professionalism and personal integrity in the way they work. Each person can develop and contribute their wealth of attributes, skills and knowledge to support the overall health of the ﬁrm.
● Team: We value the power of interdisciplinary integration. A positive team culture in which everyone collaborates openly towards common goals is essential.
● Firm: We have a history of making transformative contributions to the profession and our communities. We are constantly innovating and attempting to bring new approaches, solutions and processes to our work.
The Designer has responsibility for the quality of design for each project within the established scope of work, program, and budget objectives. Together with the Technical Designer, Project Manager, and/or Project Architect, the Designer is the day-to-day co-leader of the project, with signiﬁcant responsibilities in all phases of work, starting with programming and concepts, through the design phases and providing input during construction to ensure the successful realization of the project. They lead the production of design deliverables to convey a clear narrative and conceptual framework to internal and external parties.
● Establishes the design direction and innovation(s) and furthers the development of architectural projects through all phases that are consistent with the scope of work and goals of the ﬁrm. Integrates criteria and input from all disciplines into design solutions.
● Establishes, communicates, and maintains standards of quality for design and work products for the full internal and external team.
● Possesses a strong understanding of the local parameters and criteria for the project, including relevant local codes. Oversees and leads the design, programmatic, contextual, and cultural research and analysis required for the project.
● Oversees team in selection and assessment of materials and ﬁnishes for the project.
● Oversees and/or leads design documentation including but not limited to drawings, sketches, physical models, renderings, and animations for regular internal and external meetings and milestone deliverables. Design documentation should be consistent with ﬁrm standards for the publication and presentation of work.
● Drafts a comprehensive design narrative for the project that will inform the client and other disciplines about the design intent, as well as contribute to publications and business development initiatives. Supports the production of the technical speciﬁcations for the project.
● Communicates the design goals to the project team on a regular basis.
● Fosters lasting and positive relationships with clients, the design community, and important government agencies (i.e. planning departments, commissions, and advocacy groups).
● Assists the Project Manager in establishing project budgets, schedules, and work plans.
● Supports the team's construction phase services scope including making periodic site visits to monitor construction progress and identifying areas needing correction and/or modiﬁcation; attending visual mockup review; and assisting the Technical Designer in reviewing shop drawings for design intent.
● Attends and presents in owner/architect design meetings. Reviews and approves meeting minutes.
● Attends and facilitates weekly internal project team meetings. Together with Project Manager, Technical Designer, and/or Project Architect, develops the meeting agenda and project status update.
● Works with OT, Marketing, and Records Management to archive all ﬁnal and preferred drawings, renderings, and photos for future use.
● Actively participates in local and ﬁrm-wide Design Review Meetings and makes meaningful contributions to the advancement of activities led by these groups.
● Actively leads multiple projects and teams.
● Established as a oﬃcewide resource in an area of expertise for market, discipline, or department.
● Directly supervises, trains, and mentors team members.
● Engages in talent strategy to ﬁnd specialists, leaders, and future professionals for the ﬁrm through resume review, interviews, and leveraging personal network.
● Demonstrates leadership in the implementation of sustainable strategies in all project assignments and the associated development of staff knowledge.
● Creates and drives new ways of working through contributing to the development of services, standards, procedures based in an understanding of the business principles that protect SOM from ﬁnancial and legal risk.
● Completion of a professional degree in Architecture or a related ﬁeld.
● Licensed in state of practice; LEED or other green building accreditation preferred.
● Minimum 10 years of experience or equivalent knowledge, skills and abilities.
● Strong understanding of sustainable strategies and principles including familiarity with LEED or other green building rating systems.
● Strong interpersonal and verbal and written communication skills.
● Demonstrates proﬁciency in Adobe Suite, and Google Workspace. Familiarity with AutoCAD.
SOM offers opportunities to work on transformational projects, competitive salaries, health insurance, wellness, retirement and financial and other work/life plans.
At SOM, we welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace. We believe an inclusive environment benefits our employees, our firm, and our community, while also enriching and challenging our own thinking about design. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Visit this page to learn more about SOM's employment policy and how to apply offline: www.som.com/employment_opportunities_and_policy
For more about SOM: www.som.com
Portfolios must be submitted for all design positions (Architecture, Interiors, Planning, etc). Applications without work samples will not be reviewed. Portfolios should be one PDF attachment, 10-20 pages, maximum 5 MB. Submit portfolios as part of your application in the section where the application asks you for your Resume or CV.